Customer Success Manager Job Description Sample
Hiring a Customer Success Manager is an extremely important decision for any company. Your CSM team is more responsible for your reputation to your customers than and department of the company. But Customer Success Managers don’t just ensure a positive user experience for your clients, they are also responsible for onboarding, upgrading, account retention, and account renewal. All of these are crucial to your business, so getting this hire right is paramount. We’re here to help you accomplish that.
In this hiring guide, we’ve provided a sample job description for a Customer Success Manager / CSM. We know that not all CSM roles have the same responsibilities and requirements, but we chose to include the criteria that matches most CSM job postings. There’s a long list of role responsibilities and skills below to give you a general idea of what to include in your job posting. However, we don’t recommend including more than 6-10 of each because shorter job postings tend to perform better and generate more applies.
Customer Success Manager (CSM) / Account Manager Sample Job Description
YOUR COMPANY is hiring a Customer Success Manager
A Day in the Life of a Customer Success Manager
- Manage customer onboarding and product training.
- Educate customers on the use and benefits of our products and services.
- Analyze customer data to improve user experience.
- Work closely with customers to ensure they’re finding value in our products and services.
- Develop and manage customer portfolios.
- Manage account retention and renewal to minimize churn.
- Establish customer support best practices.
- Handle customer complaints and requests.
- Record and report customer feedback to upper management.
- Assist in product design and development.
- Drive upgrade revenue through upselling product features and usage.
- Assist with product demonstrations for prospects and customers.
- Work with the sales team to ensure accurate messaging of product features and capabilities.
- Provide customers with technical support for products.
- Develop relationships with customers to ensure a positive customer experience.
Skills and Experience Desired for a Customer Success Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Business or a related field preferred.
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong understanding of the industry and technology.
- Great attention to detail.
- Excellent active-listening skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Experience collaborating with internal and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Patient and able to practice good phone and video call etiquette.
- Self-starter who works well independently.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Understanding of web applications with a desire to learn more.
- Strong people skills.
- Great problem-solving ability.
How This Role Contributes to the Future of the Company
[Example] As a Customer Success Manager you will directly contribute to the success of the company by developing a positive customer experience, building brand reputation, contributing to revenue growth through upgrades, and reducing churn by managing account retention and annual renewals.
The best CSMs can earn more responsibility by being promoted to a team lead, managerial role, Director of Customer Success, VP of Customer Success, or even Chief Revenue Officer. Customer Success Managers can also transition to other departments within the company, like sales or product development.
A Customer Success Manager Reports to [ VP of Customer Success / Chief Revenue Officer / VP of Sales / etc.]
What to Expect from Our Hiring Process
- Within 1 week of applying, we’ll let you know if you’ve been selected for an interview.
- Complete our pre-employment assessment.
- 15-minute phone interview with our hiring team.
- 1:1 video interview with the manager you will report to.
- Final in-person interview with department heads and the hiring manager.
What to Look for in a Customer Success Manager / CSM
There’s no recipe for the perfect Customer Success Manager and candidates come from a wider range of backgrounds than most roles when it comes to education and experience. That’s why identifying valuable soft skills for Customer Success Managers to possess is so important. Here are the personality traits and soft skills that hiring managers should seek out when hiring a CSM.
Valuable Customer Success Manager Personality Traits
- Emotionally Intelligent
- High Integrity
- Detail Oriented
- Quick Learner
What Salary Range to Offer a Customer Success Manager
As is the case with most careers, the average salary range for a Customer Success Manager depends on experience, industry, and location. The most experienced CSM candidates will be paid a higher salary than a CSM candidate with little to no experience, and a CSM in a large city will be paid more than a CSM with similar experience in a small town. Taking this into consideration, here are some average salaries for Customer Success Managers based on location and experience.
Annual Average Customer Success Manager Salary by Experience
- 0-1 Years: $51,195
- 1-3 Years: $53,064
- 4-6 Years: $63,143
- 7-9 Years: $70,594
- 10-14 Years: $74,327
- 15+ Years: $83,641
Annual Average Customer Success Manager Salary by US City
- San Francisco: $79,090
- New York City: $68,704
- Boston: $63,197
- Seattle: $60,805
- Los Angeles: $60,201
- Chicago: $58,946
- Minneapolis: $58,213
- Miami: $56,224
- Atlanta: $55,572
- Dallas: $53,92
Annual Average Customer Success Manager Salary Internationally
- Toronto: $65,000 CAD
- Vancouver: $60,000 CAD
- London: £44,996
- Dublin: €50,000
- Paris: €41,135
- Berlin: €42,321
- Madrid: €32,136
- Sydney: $95,000 AUD
- Auckland: $83,000 NZD
- Hong Kong: $500,000 HK
Source: 2021 hiring data provided by Glassdoor