How to Get a Job in the Healthcare Industry
Healthcare Industry Statistics
- Almost 10% of working Americans work in the healthcare industry.
- Healthcare is expected to add 4 million new jobs to the US economy by 2026, more than any other industry.
- The healthcare industry is expected to grow by 18% between 2016 and 2026.
- 5 of the 10 fastest growing occupations are healthcare industry positions.
Top Trends for the Healthcare Industry
- Personalized Medicine based on Genetics
- Patient Experience
- Price Transparency for Medications
- Person-Centered Care
Common Careers in the Healthcare Industry
- Home Health Aide
- Physician’s Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
How to Break into the Healthcare Industry
1) Test the Waters – Before committing to the healthcare industry entirely, make sure to get some firsthand experience in the environment. Volunteering is one sure-fire way to accomplish this. Nursing homes, hospitals, and health-focused nonprofits are always looking for help. Many education programs require you to have a certain number of hands-on hours and volunteering is a great way to rack up that time! Volunteering will help build your professional network, add experience to your resume, and help you figure out if you’d enjoy a career in the healthcare industry.
2) Get Trained – Okay, so you know for sure that you want to work in the healthcare industry. The next step is to get educated! Regardless of the position you’re interested in, you’re going to need to get relevant training. Certification programs or an associates degree can get your foot in the door, while a bachelors in a health science will qualify you for other career paths, like nursing or pharmaceutical work. To become a doctor, you’ll need to go to medical school. But, because of staffing shortages, some employers will cover your education costs! Whatever level of education is needed for you to get your dream job, make sure you get some in-field experience to give you a leg up when applying to jobs.
3) Make Connections – With 1 in 10 adults working the healthcare industry, chances are pretty good that you already know someone in the biz! Networking is essential to landing that first job, so cast your net! If you’re having trouble using your personal contacts, look for networking events and healthcare-focused career fairs in your area.
Hot Companies in the Healthcare Industry
- The American Heart Association
- Jude Medical
- The Mayo Clinic
- Roche Diagnostics
Top Cities for the Healthcare Industry
- Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
- Detroit, MI
- Toledo, OH
- Houston, TX
- Tucson, AZ
- San Diego, CA
- Philadelphia, PA