Social Media Manager Job Description Sample
The Social Media Manager role has quickly become one of the most important roles in the marketing department. Your social media manager is the voice of your company to your customers, clients, and the general public, so it’s vital to get this hire right. That starts with writing a top-notch social media manager job description. A social media Manager / Social Media Coordinator job description should be informative, but also concise. Tell the candidate what they need to know without the window dressing.
In the following section, we’ve included a social media manager sample job description. While social media coordinators have different responsibilities and requirements in different organizations, we’ve included all of the most common of each below. You’ll notice we’ve included a lengthy list of responsibilities and skills for you to use for the role you’re trying to fill, but we don’t recommend including more than 8-10 of each.
Social Media Manager Sample Job Description
YOUR COMPANY is hiring a Social Media Manager
A Day in the Life of a Social Media Manager
- Develop social media strategy across social media channels.
- Create original content for social posts.
- Provide data analysis and social metric reporting.
- Oversee daily management of social media campaigns.
- Interact with followers and customers to answer questions.
- Facilitate scaling brand and company awareness by growing social media following.
- Identify and track social media KPIs.
- Stay up to date with the latest social media best practices and technologies.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales, and Product teams.
Skills and Experience Desired for a Social Media Specialist
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or a related field.
- Proficiency in social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, Pinterest, Snapchat, and YouTube.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Professional Certification in Google Analytics preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and self-drive.
- Ability to think strategically and tactically.
- Working knowledge of SEO and content marketing strategy.
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Great active-listening skills.
- Experience collaborating with internal and cross-functional teams.
- Strong computer literacy skills.
- Proficiency with multi-social posting platforms like Hootsuite and HubSpot.
How This Role Contributes to the Future of the Company
[Example] As Social Media Manager, you will act as the voice of the company to the public. You will be responsible for sharing our message in our brand voice across all social media channels to generate awareness of the company and its products. Successful Social Media Managers will impact many areas of the company including sales, marketing, product development, and more. The career trajectory for Social Media Managers can include just about any marketing career path including content marketing, graphic design, data analysis, market research, and brand strategy. The best Social Media Managers can build their entire career in the social media management world by being promoted to Social Media Director or Head of Social Media.
This Role Reports to _________ [ Digital Marketing Manager / Director of Marketing / CMO / etc.]
What to Expect from Our Hiring Process
- Within 1 week of applying, we’ll let you know if you’ve been selected for an interview.
- Complete our pre-employment assessment.
- 15-minute phone interview with our hiring team.
- 1:1 video interview with the manager you will report to.
- Final in-person interview with department heads and the hiring manager.
What to Look for in a Social Media Manager
Social Media Managers come from a wide range of backgrounds and have varying skill sets, meaning there isn’t really an exact blueprint for a successful SMM. There are some traits that make a candidate much more likely to succeed as a social media manager. Most marketing leaders would tell you that the best social media managers are strategic, creative, data-driven, organized, and outgoing. Here are some additional traits to look for in a social media marketing manager.
Valuable Social Media Manager Personality Traits
- Tech Savvy
- Data Driven
- Quick Learner
What Salary Range to Offer a Social Media Manager
While most Social Media Manager jobs are entry-level, salary ranges still differ based on experience, industry, and location. Highly experienced candidates in major cities are usually paid the most, whereas candidates with no experience in small towns tend to be compensated the lowest. Trying to decide what salary to offer your social media manager candidates? Here are social media manager salary averages broken down by experience and location.
Annual Average Social Media Manager Salary by Experience
- 0-1 Years: $42,529
- 1-3 Years: $44,968
- 4-6 Years: $55,323
- 7-9 Years: $62,049
- 10-14 Years: $67,992
- 15+ Years: $76,256
U.S. Annual Average Social Media Manager Salaries
- San Francisco: $65,232
- Seattle: $56,614
- New York City: $55,871
- Boston: $53,275
- Los Angeles: $52,236
- Minneapolis: $51,645
- Miami: $49,082
- Atlanta: $48,924
- Chicago: $46,832
- Dallas: $46,899
International Social Media Manager Average Salaries
- Vancouver: $58,000 CAD
- Toronto: $50,000 CAD
- London: £35,000
- Madrid: €47,499
- Paris: €43,306
- Berlin: €36,102
- Dublin: €27,574
- Sydney: $66,000 AUD
- Tokyo: ¥798432
- Shanghai: ¥299,469
Source: 2020 hiring data provided by Glassdoor