Software Developer Job Description Sample
Hiring software engineers and web developers can be a tricky task for recruiters. These roles are extremely important because they will responsible for building your products, managing your website, and more. Failing to get this hire right could result in missed deadlines and a product that doesn’t meet your expectations. Getting this hire right starts with getting the job post right.
In the section below we’ve included a complete software engineer / web developer sample job description. While we know developers and engineers have a wide range of responsibilities and required skills depending on the company and the purpose of the role, we’ve included all of the most common responsibilities and requirements. Even though these are the skills and responsibilities that appear most often on software engineer job descriptions, we don’t recommend using them all. Try to stick to 6 to 10 of each if possible.
Software Engineer / Web Developer Sample Job Description
YOUR COMPANY is hiring a Software Engineer
A Day in the Life of a Software Engineer
- Develop information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions.
- Analyze, design, and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support, and improvements to existing systems and platforms.
- Program well-designed, testable, and efficient code.
- Work with graphics and other designers.
- Executing full lifecycle of software development.
- Create and maintain software documentation.
- Troubleshoot website issues.
- Work alongside other engineers on the team to consistently apply best practices.
- Determine operational feasibility and timeframe for projects.
- Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Investigating and using new technologies where relevant.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
Skills and Experience Desired for a Software Engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Proven working experience in web programming or software development.
- In-depth knowledge of modern HTML/CSS.
- Strong knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting software issues and debugging a large codebase
- Experience working with technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Oozie, Map Reduce, Spark, Sqoop, Kafka, Flume, etc.
- Basic understanding of SEO and content strategy.
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience collaborating with internal and cross-functional teams.
- Strong computer literacy skills.
- Exception problem-solving ability.
- Capable of delivering on multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
How This Role Contributes to the Future of the Company
[Example] Software engineers and developers have a huge impact on the company as they are the ones responsible for creating the product in many cases. Software developers also impact the company on a daily basis by monitoring systems, making fixes and optimizations, and working cross-functionally with just about every team in the company.
The career path for a successful software engineer typically follows one of two routes: people and project management or system and service management. The first promotion for a software engineer is usually to senior software engineer, followed by tech lead or engineering manager. The very best software engineers and developers have a chance to eventually become VP of engineering or even Chief Technology Officer.
This Role Reports to _________ [ Engineering Manager / Director of Engineering / CTO / etc.]
What to Expect from Our Web Developer Hiring Process
- Within 1 week of applying, we’ll let you know if you’ve been selected for an interview.
- Complete our cognitive aptitude test.
- 15-minute phone interview with our hiring team.
- Pass the technical screening.
- 1:1 video interview with the manager you will report to.
- Complete a take-home project in 1-2 weeks.
- Final in-person interview with department heads and the hiring manager.
What to Look for in a Software Developer
Determining the ideal personality traits of a software engineer is much trickier than most professions. Software engineers come from a wide range of backgrounds and can have drastically different skillsets from one another. Some of the best software engineers are self-taught, while others have a master’s degree in computer science. Since there isn’t a perfect background or education for a successful software engineer candidate, it’s better to examine their body of work and look for the traits below.
Valuable Web Developer Personality Traits
- Self Starter
- Open Minded
- Quick Learner
What Salary Range to Offer Developers
Typically salary averages vary based on experience, industry, and location. This is no different when it comes to salary averages for software engineers and web developers. Here’s a look at the average salary for software engineers and web developers broken down by experience and location.
Annual Average Software Engineer Salary by Experience
- 0-1 Years: $81,618
- 1-3 Years: $89,114
- 4-6 Years: $88,928
- 7-9 Years: $96,100
- 10-14 Years: $102,014
- 15+ Years: $106,381
U.S. Annual Average Software Engineer Salaries
- San Francisco: $115,822
- Seattle: $106,263
- New York City: $97,215
- Los Angeles: $91,469
- Boston: $89,585
- Austin: $82,880
- Chicago: $82,097
- Atlanta: $78,955
- Miami: $78,594
- Minneapolis: $77,942
International Software Engineer Salaries
- Vancouver: $90,000 CAD
- Toronto: $85,000 CAD
- London: £50,000
- Berlin: €60,000
- Dublin: €53,332
- Paris: €47,961
- Madrid: €35,070
- Sydney: $100,000 AUD
- Tokyo: ¥6,000,000
- Hong Kong: $400,000 HK
Annual Average Web Developer Salary by Experience
- 0-1 Years: $52,876
- 1-3 Years: $57,354
- 4-6 Years: $66,597
- 7-9 Years: $72,786
- 10-14 Years: $75,397
- 15+ Years: $80,700
U.S. Annual Average Web Developer Salaries
- San Francisco: $92,548
- Seattle: $77,325
- New York City: $75,672
- Boston: $73,921
- Los Angeles: $72,309
- Chicago: $68,490
- Atlanta: $68,148
- Minneapolis: $66,358
- Austin: $65,563
- Miami: $63,038
International Web Developer Salaries
- Vancouver: $63,000 CAD
- Toronto: $62,000 CAD
- London: £40,314
- Berlin: €47,955
- Paris: €41,199
- Dublin: €37,863
- Madrid: €35,237
- Sydney: $71,333 AUD
- Tokyo: ¥4,382,000
- Hong Kong: $264,000 HK
Source: 2020 hiring data provided by Glassdoor